Pages

Popular Posts

Friday, May 27, 2011

"Raja Lawak"; Who do you think we are, a bunch of five year olds?


So I was watching TV the other day when I stumbled upon this “Raja Lawak” show, this is not the first time I’ve heard about this but today, I have the mood to talk about it in detail, so, Raja Lawak, what’s that? well “Raja Lawak” is the predecessor of “Akedemi Fantasia” which was a copycat of “American Idol”, it is, in simple words, a reality show that promises people “shortcuts to fame”. I personally hate reality shows, but this Raja Lawak crap is really getting in my nerves, once again I apologies to those of you who really-really like this show, no offence but think about it, Raja Lawak is a show where you watch a bunch of adults making jokes (or try to make jokes), I’m okay with jokes but please don’t give childish jokes, who do you think we are, a bunch of five year olds? Sometimes I ask myself who’s their target audience, well, it turns out, everybody. It seems to me that Malaysians love cheap and simple jokes, there’s nothing wrong with simple jokes like the famous “Mr. Bean” series, but everybody’s doing it now, can we have some variety around here? The problem with Malay comedians these days is their acting, their jokes, and their topics, its seems to me that these comedians loves slapstick jokes, retarded jokes, jokes that can make a five year old kid laugh without the need to understand a single word they say, what’s wrong with meaningful jokes, jokes that seems true or jokes that makes us think, what’s wrong with that? I’ve always like one particular comedian, his name’s Russell Peter, and the only Malaysian comedian who can come close to what Russell does is Harith Iskandar, and that’s it.

Yes I know, I can hear you’re calling me “poyo” right now because I only like western jokes (lawak Mat Salleh), let me tell you something, jokes can be translated into many languages, every language can be funny, you just have to be creative, and above all, bold. Oh yeah, there’s another thing, ‘bold’, the reason our comedians can only do stupid childish jokes is because of where we live, we live in Malaysia, the land of the fragiles, and there’re rules which you must obey and it consisted of keeping your mouth shut, no government bashing, no ruling political party bashing, and the most important, no religion bashing jokes, and that’s the sad part, because what’s a joke without a good, subtle, read between the lines bashing huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment